Back to top

Soy Sauce (regular) 왜간장

There are mainly two major types of soy sauce, and they are categorized by use: regular soy sauce and soy sauce for soup (Guk-Gan-Jang). The regular soy sauce is widely used in Korea and very similar to the soy sauce you see in Japan or North America. Soy sauce for soup, however, is unique to Korean cooking. As the name suggests, soy sauce for soup is mainly used for soup. But it is also used for “namul” (korean vegetable side dishes). Since it’s much saltier and lighter in color than regular soy sauce, you can use a small amount to season your soup while keeping the soup color nice and clear.

In addition to the two main soy sauces, another variation is called Mat-Gan-Jang (meaning “tasty soy sauce”). Mat-Gan-Jang is usually made by boiling regular soy sauce with different combinations of flavorful ingredients such as garlic, rice wine, sugar, lemon, mushroom or kelp, and then it’s saved for cooking various dishes.

Sourcing & Selecting

Local Korean grocery market

You can buy Soy sauce online here.

You can try using soy sauce for soup. Remember not to use too much since it's much saltier. If you don't have any type of soy sauce, you can use salt to season. But, salt simply gives a salty taste. Soy sauce gives saltiness along with a hint of sweetness and other flavors that come from soybean and fermentation.
How to Measure: 
Coming soon
You can keep soy sauce at room temperature, away from direct sunlight or heat. But, they say it’s better to keep it in the fridge once opened. Usually soy sauce has a two-year expiration period, but for ideal flavor it’s good to consume within two months after opening. Sometimes you may see foam on top especially for Soy Sauce for Soup. This is usually not a sign that it’s gone bad as the reaction of amino acids can produce foam.
Nutrition and Health Facts: 
coming soon


All information within this website is provided for general educational and informational purposes only. This information is not intended nor in any way implied to be medical advice. You should always consult professional health care providers regarding the personal application of any opinions or recommendations related to health symptoms or medical conditions mentioned.